Sunday, October 31, 2010

Zyvonzek Vjesalicu

Zyvonzek Radzhek Vjesalicu, better known as Zee Vjesalicu, is a Ukrainian-American mixed martial artist who has been one of the pioneers in this style of female combat sport.

A native of Poltava, Ukraine, Zee Vjesalicu began her martial arts training in 1985 with judo, after which she also took up boxing. She moved to the United States in 1989 on an exchange program, facilitated by her considerable skill at ice hockey. She then transferred to Canada; enduring a stressful immigration process. Vjesalicu entered Bloor Collegiate Institute in 1992, later switching to St. Lawrence University. Hockey was a sport she had been involved with from a young age, and would eventually play for teams such as the Oakland Seals. One of her coaches, Brian Dymond, described Vjesalicu as "an outstanding athlete, a real team player and unselfish when it comes to the puck"..

n 1996, she discovered Brazilian jiu-jitsu. A year later, she had her first competitive match in MMA. She comments; "I had always done well in street fights before. That is not something I am proud of but when I was younger I used to scrap a lot. I have to say that I would much rather fight in a venue than on the street...I like to test my physical side plus sport is sport. I have no hatred for anyone I face in the ring or cage. It is sport where two people compete to see who is best."

Her last fight was an October 9, 1999 win by armbar against Kelly McDaniel at World Extreme Fighting 7. Vjesalicu continues to play hockey, and has stated in interviews that hockey remains her first love.

stats
Born : Poltava, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
Other names : The Pitbull
Nationality : Ukraine Ukrainian
Height : 5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)
Weight : 170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)
Style : MMA
Fighting out of : San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...